One of the things that I learned very quickly about ecology and landscape management was that there is always a context. In the San Juans a major part of the context is the Fraser Valley. That there is a group that is focussed on this area and that they are producing a “Sustainablity Report Card” annually is wonderful.
The Fraser Basin Council has undertaken a number of initiatives including:
- preparing for the next great Fraser River flood,
- controlling the spread of invasive plant species,
- managing the effects of climate change,
- strengthening rural communities,
- developing a sustainable fish and fisheries strategy,
- building constructive aboriginal and non-aboriginal relationships and
- measuring our progress towards sustainability.
It is this last that produced the Sustainability Report. While some of the Report strikes me as “Soup of the Day” – there are parts that are truly imaginative in delivering a State of the Union snapshot.
Leave a Reply